Thursday, January 29, 2009

Follow Up

Yeah, so, the humidifier turned out to be a piece of junk. Its so called humidistat was more like a timer that turned it on and off at intervals. I'm not exactly sure how that gauges a varying quantity like humidity. Its also not fun to have next your bed. At one point, I asked Jen to turn on our wave soundtrack, and she replied that it was already on. I just couldn't hear it over the loudly whirring fan.

After quite a bit of research and a little shopping I discovered that all the good units are sold out just about everywhere in Madison. We opted to overnight a nicer Honeywell model which will be here tomorrow. Meantime, I've taken Katie's advice and am using Jen's "facial spa"--it's like a small portable humidifier that's intended for cosmetic purposes. Not only is it a mask that you hold over your face, but Jen recommends I throw a towel over my head to keep the steam from escaping. I imagine I look like a cross between darth vader and the emperor. The cats seemed a little freaked out and wouldn't stop staring at me. I'd be tempted to say I look twenty years younger if it didn't make me ten.

4 comments:

Taryn said...

It will come as no surprise to you that I could not live without a humidifier. Actually, hapa ninja baby needs the humidifier more than me, what with him being all small and everything, but IN ANY CASE....

I finally broke down last winter and bought a totally ridiculous humidifier. I was tired of hearing the one we had make noise and it corroded very quickly, etc. I bought an Air-O-Swiss 7135 and it has been worth every penny. The thing is amazing. And SILENT. (Though I realize the burbling, boiling noise many units make is not a problem for everyone - it drives me mad.)

kevin said...

I think that was a close second for me. That's the one that switches between hot and cold right? It's much more stylish looking than the Honeywell, which looks like a computer tower from the 80s.

I still kind of wish I had one of the penguin ones. If only because they're so darn cute.

Taryn said...

The penguin humidifier! YES.

Anonymous said...

I love my travel humidifier, its small, uses a water bottle, and has cool mist ultrasonic technology. I got it here: Portable Travel Humidifier