Tuesday, January 13, 2009

not so hard to swallow now

Oh the woes of being ill. Three days ago I came down with a sinus infection. At first it wasn't so bad, just some congestion and some tiredness. Nothing, I thought, that a few hours on the couch in front of the teli couldn't cure. But then last night happened. My throat grew so sore and swollen I could barely swallow. Being something of a hypochondriac, I decided to page a doctor, who recommended I head to ER! She scared me a bit with her concern for a long wait due to accidents on the iced-over roads. Luckily, the horrific scene of crushed and bleeding victims being wheeled through the emergency room door was not a reality. As far as we could tell, Jen and I were the only people there. The only evidence of other patients were the handful of cars, neither dented nor totaled, in the parking garage.

All around, it was a highly uneventful visit. Two nurses checked my vitals and threatened to do a strep test (of which I'm terrified). An unconcerned-looking doctor then came and countermanded their order, basically dismissing the test as worthless. He also assured me that I wasn't going to suffocate any time soon. In the spirit of House, he skipped the diagnosis and went ahead with treatment. Now, I figured they would give me antibiotics, but what I did not see coming were the prescription-strength pain relievers. That was an unexpected delight. When going over my list of prescriptions, the nurse asked,

"Have you heard of vicodin?"

My initial thought was "Have I?!"

I went with the somewhat more considered answer of, "yeah, that sounds familiar."

So here I am the next day. My throat slightly less sore and swollen and I am experiencing a dizzy-woozy feeling, which is markedly improving the quality of the crappy movies I'm downloading from netflix.

4 comments:

nenny said...

I totally had this feeling that he was putting on a House-persona for some weird thrill. Everyone else who saw you seemed interested in doing the strep test, and in came this gruff, dismissive "doctor" who seemed to know better than all of his colleagues.

Btw, beware of blogging on vicodin - I'd imagine that it's not terribly different from drunk-blogging. And you know how that goes.

kevin said...

You know, I wrote one of my best undergraduate papers on tylenol with codine during a week-long cold. Though the style was tad languid.

Taryn said...

Vicodin is perhaps the only thing I love more than TheraFlu when it comes to medication.

Are you going to give us a list of all this stuff you've been watching while sick? What counts as a crappy t.v. show? (Are you watching Gossip Girl or something? Or just CSI: Miami?)

Gwen said...

Ummm, hold up. Gossip Girl is awesome.