Thursday, January 22, 2009

Yesterday I taught my first class of the semester: intermediate composition. The group of students who signed up are continuing a tradition that has been established over the last four semesters. Every semester, my students seem to alternate. They are either entirely white, like blankets of Wisconsin snow, or heavily multicultural, [I don't think it would be appropriate to use a metaphor here]. For example: last semester, most of my students were white and midwestern. In fact, they were mostly men from Wisconsin. This semester, my students are hailing from all over the world. Cultural representation in my classes has swung back and forth like this for the past four semesters. It must just be the luck of the draw. I mean, I guess it is. It's not like they plan it, right? Do fraternities and sororities target classes? Have I become a guinea pig some kind of F-ed up segregation experiment?


On a lighter note, here are some short cuts I took while making soup of which I'm proud.

1. When told to cook squash two ways and combine both, I just roasted it all!
2. Instead of a bouquet garni, I just dumped a bunch of dried herbs in the pot! I always thought bouquet garnis were a little pretentious - and not just because they're French!
3. When I was supposed to filter the soup through a sieve, I just bypassed the sieve all together!

For some reason, the exclamation marks seemed necessary. Sorry if you felt shouted at. And guess what else, it tastes exactly the same!

No comments: